Apparently, I never blog!
So guys, I have a list of posts to write about!
I made curtains!
I did my first food crawl!
Everyone's getting married!
Alas. I have no time.
However, I was getting questions about these, so this is what I will blog out:
Worst-sounding combination EVER, right?
I work with a group of really healthy people, one of whom is a vegan. It's her birthday... so... I made her vegan cupcakes. You can love or hate that idea, and I don't care. It's her birthday, not yours. On your birthday, I will make you steak cupcakes with veal frosting, okay?
* 2 cups flour
* 2 TBSP chia seeds (as requested by my coworker instead of flax seed, and she provided them, so I didn't aruge)
* 2/3 cup cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 1/2 cups Libby's canned pumpkin
* 1/2 cup safflower oil
* 1 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 TBSP water
* 1 TBSP vinegar
* Ghiradelli Chocolate Chips to garnish (or other vegan-ok chips)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. (*my oven runs strong, so I did 340)
1. Mix together dry ingredients.
2. Dump in pumpkin. Add in other wet ingredients. Blend with a hand blender until smooth. Batter will not be thin & runny, it will be thicker, like a muffin.
3. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Scoop in batter. Add chocolate chips on top.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
I didn't frost them because the chips looked pretty (and people where I work are too skinny for frosting). However, you could do a vegan glaze or ganache without too much trouble.
My healthy co-workers ADORED these. I think they taste like a muffin -- not too sweet, but still good. They had a great, moist texture. They taste like chocolate, but not exactly like a chocolate cake (in my opinion).
So... enjoy! Love on your vegans, people.