this is faith

When I heard the news that my grandmother (and final grandparent) had passed away, the first thing that came to my mind was a song. This is fitting, if you knew my grandmother or know my family - we have a song for everything.

One beautiful thing about hymns is that they express, in poetic terms, deep, rich theology. The hymn that has echoed in my heart this week is "Crown Him with Many Crowns". The line that I have been meditating on? 

Hark! how the heavenly anthem drowns all music but it's own. 

If there is one thing I can say about my grandmother, it is that she heard that heavenly anthem, and for her, it drowned out all other noise. Her whole life reflected that, from her love, to her devotion, to her strong faith. I can only hope that I can find the discipline to turn my own ear to heaven in the way that she did.

Then, I received news that a friend of mine lost her baby shortly after his birth. And in my heart, God put the same music. Because when we face pain beyond comfort, when we have no answers, when there are not words to express condolence, this is the promise we have; heaven's music, God's love, drowns out all our earthly sorrows. That, dear ones, is God's promise, and believing it is faith. Though we cannot comprehend what may pass in this life, God promises us that his love is bigger. We just have to believe. 

And when I waiver in my faith, may I remember to follow the next lines of this beautiful hymn...

Awake, my soul and sing of Him who died for thee,
and hail him as thy matchless King throughout eternity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates