the idol of safety

I'm not going to lie. When I heard this morning about what else happened to the little girl who was murdered, I really had a moment. My arms dragged as I lifted Joe to his car seat. I opened the door to the gym and really thought about turning around so I didn't have to leave him in the child care area (which is friendly and full of wonderful stuff). And then I thought about what our pastor preached on yesterday - Joshua 24 - choose this day whom you will serve. 

Fear is a master and it makes you it's slave, robbing you of goodness and life. 

Jesus said you can't serve both God and money, and I think the same thing is true about fear. You can't experience God's unconditional love if you choose fear. Today, I'm going to choose God. That doesn't mean I'm not a good parent who leaves her kid with just anyone. That doesn't mean it's not my job to know who my kid is with and where he is at all times. That doesn't mean I don't get to say "no" if I am uncomfortable with something. 

But I won't let fear creep in. My heart is too full of Jesus to have anything else.

And if I am honest, my efforts will fall short every time. I can wrap my kid in a bubble and lock all the doors, but it won't work. We are only as safe as God keeps us - and I would much rather lean on his strength than my own.

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold...
...For who is God, but the LORD?
Psalm 18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore