Life from a crate

Our church's sermon last week was: "What does God say about suffering and pain?".

It's not an easy topic.

This is my reflection.
~~~
We had to crate train our dog, Otis, when we moved back from Indiana. We bought a beautiful, brand new spec home in December... so we didn't have a yard. Which meant that, at 7 years old, Otis had to be crate trained for the first time. Otis suffers from separation anxiety, so this was not an easy task.

At first, every time I put Otis in that crate, he looked at me with total sadness. Like I was hurting him, letting him down, disappointing him. He looked at me like I was betraying him. He did not understand.

We love Otis (though we joke about hating him, we don't). Otis is completely dependent on us for care. We always have Otis' best interest in mind. In reality, the crate protects him from outside elements, from storms, from strangers who could harm him, and also from himself. The crate holds him safe until Momma can come home and care for him herself.

To him, the crate is suffering.
In reality, the crate is not a bad thing.

In reality, there is suffering in my life. Want to see it? Try these blogs...

http://www.justasialwaysam.com/2012/05/diagnosis-almost-ms.html

http://ryanandbarbara.wordpress.com

http://thenewold-fashionedway.blogspot.com/

http://www.whileyouwerenapping.com/2012/05/bedtime-prayers.html

You will cry your eyes out. And you know what? These are just the people I know that have blogs. I have others that are just as heart-wrenching, but they don't blog. I have done a lot of tearful praying for a lot of people lately. And I think of Otis in his crate, looking at me, his eyes pleading, "WHY?".

I think of me, pleading with God, "WHY?".
Then I remember.
God always has our best interest in mind.
God is always just, always loving, always perfect.
God always knows more than we do.
God is working in ways I cannot comprehend. 


You have granted me life and steadfast love,
    and your care has preserved my spirit.
13 Yet these things you hid in your heart;
    I know that this was your purpose.
Job
~~~
The good news? Otis is doing better in his crate. He trots right in when it's time to go and has fewer and fewer accidents. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore