Robert's Birthday

I don't blog anymore. Sorry if that somehow disappoints you.

Anyway.

We threw Robert a birthday party last weekend! On Tuesday, Robert will turn 30. It's a big deal! Well, not really. We are pretending it's a big deal, but he's playing it pretty low key. Rob has all the photos, so bug him if you want pictures.

We were very blessed to have family and friends show up on Saturday night to celebrate the big occasion. Rick made tacos, I made cake, and Robert made the best face ever when he found out his birthday surprise...

New a rhino truck liner!

If you are less than excited about that as a birthday gift, you and I are in the same boat. I don't quite get the "wow" factor of it, but at one point on Sunday Robert gently touched it and said in a soft voice, "It's just so pretty". I can only imagine this is how I would feel if handed a nice pair of heels or a new handbag.

On our way to church on Sunday, I told Rick that I would have thought I'd have more "of my life figured out" when I was married to a 30 year old. He wanted to know what I didn't have figured out. I said everything.

Maybe some people live their lives with a big "plan". I read the Mark Driscoll marriage book this summer, "Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship and Life Together". The whole last part of his book is about making some big life plan (okay, I'm summarizing, it's more deep than that). I think he makes a good point -- that you need to plan to live life intentionally and think about your priorities. But Pastor Driscoll is going to have to go plan alone, because I cannot even imagine how "planning" our less-than-dull life would go.

Maybe I just plan on leaving a lot "open ended" since I find that God puts things in my life (instead of me putting godly things in my life). Maybe I just plan on being willing to be used in my everyday life because that's where God seems to have put me. I'm not supposed to have a baby and be a stay-at-home mom (right now), I'm not supposed to be running a ministry (right now), I'm not supposed to be making some 10 year investent plan (we all know that's Robert's job, anyway). I am supposed to be doing exactly what I am doing. And while that makes my current life very full and rich, it makes it hard to look out and plan a path. I didn't hand-pick a lot of these things in my life (Robert's work, my work, our house, our church, our friends, our family, the 2 year old living with us, etc.). These were things hand-palced in my life but Someone much greater than me. So... I guess I can't figure it out. I'm not going to try. Because what I have so much more amazing than anything I could have planned for myself.

So here is to Robert turning 30, and it being the most blessed, crazy, wild, and less-than-dull year yet.

I'm open to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

and then Justin Timberlake wrote that song