Running

I used to run all the time. Like it was no big deal, I'd go knock out 6, 7, 8 miles. I still "enjoy" running in a very casual, once-every-couple-of-months kind of thing.

Lately, I've become an addict to my elliptical.

So when a friend of mine was like, "Hey, I'm doing the Drumstick Dash, do it with me!" I don't know what possessed me to be all like, "Yes! I'm in!" and fill out a registration form last night. But I did it, and I committed myself to running 4.6 miles in public. I feel a panic attack coming on thinking about people watching me run. But I keep telling myself that if my friend (who has MS!) is doing this, I should be able to put on a brave face and get my butt moving. I’m a health coach, for crying out loud.

To start training, I did exactly what you aren't supposed to do and ran 3.5 miles last night. If you've trained for anything, you know you are supposed to ease in it. Like a complete moron who had never extra-runner-looped her Brooks before, I went for the whole 3.5-4 miles.

It was hard. I got an awful pain/cramp on the lower left side of my abdomen about 10 minutes in (that's never a good start). My iPhone decided NOT to play music. I accidentally ran through mud. I stopped to walk for 45 seconds 2-3 times.

However, when I got home - a completely sweaty, heavy breathing mess - I felt pretty good about what I had done. Sure, the 20 year old me would have LAUGHED at my not-running's self windedness after 3.5 miles, but it was a start. That high feeling after a run is the best. I also slept like the dead last night.

So what’s next? Back to training. Not 3.5 miles again today (I’m only kind of stupid and self-loathing). Probably only cross training and back on the ground this weekend. Which does beg the question… does shopping with a 2 year old count as cross training? I’m hoping yes. And this is why I’m the worst at training. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates