Let's read some books

I love to read. Robert has needed more "study" time due to some things he is doing at church and some tutorials on investing he's been doing, so it's been giving me more reading time {that, and remember how I said I was going to freak out less about cleaning the house? more reading! less cleaning!}.

What have I been reading?
Lord, Change My Attitude - Bible study by James MacDonald
We did this study last fall in women's Bible study. I was very nervous about joining the women's Bible study at church {if you don't know why, just talk to me for about 10 minutes some time and you'll understand why I may not exactly be a cookie-cutter women's Bible study participant}. I am so, so glad I sucked it up and joined! This study pushed me, convicted me, and brought us together as a group in amazing ways. It actually changed the way I thought and acted in my life. That's a good study.

The Shack - William P. Young
I am way behind the trend on reading this book, and I'm 99% finished. I really like it!


A Year of Biblical Womanhood - Rachel Held Evans
I knew I was going to like this book when I saw that the author went by Rachel Held Evans, and when a friend of mine blogged about how much she liked it. This book was very challenging and very comforting all at the same time. Parts of Rachel's experiment and convictions really made me want to be better, to seek God more in areas of my life. Parts of Rachel's experiment had me wanting to shout for joy, to remember that I'm not the only one who thinks/believes/is led in certain ways. When you are a childless young woman living in the suburbs of the Midwest, some times you really question the things you learned back in college, living in San Francisco, or being a missionary in Mexico. What seemed so obvious and real in those scenarios (not to mention Biblical and Spirit-filled) often can appear extreme, crazy, and unaccepted by the majority here. This book gave me some hope, and Rachel blogs, so I can continue to be challenged and comforted!

Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World - Joanna Weaver
As part of another women's group at church, I am reading this book. I don't have anything negative to say about it, and I hear and see the author's heart on every page. I'm just having a really hard time connecting with it. I like her point -- that we need to find intimacy with God and worship and service from there... but there are times when I feel like it's so touchy-feely, as well as so responive to a problem I believe the church-created. If the problem is part my heart and part communal, it does me a lot of good to fix my heart, but then what? If my heart is right with God and now I look around me to see a system I cannot engage in because it emphasizes the problem.. what do we do?
 
That's it for now. What are you reading?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore