Are you hungry yet? - Cook-a-thon, Part II

I am glad that I only cook for 2 people most days. This turns out to be a lot of work!

We had family/friends over on Wednesday for dinner. We had 6 adults and 4 children (all under the age of 4). It was crazy and crazy-fun. It was also really, really good to catch up and connect to friends who live far away.

I made a lasagna soup I found on pinterest.com, from the blog here: http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2011/03/24/lasagna-soup/

I did use a chicken and pork sausage for a healthier, lighter feel to the soup. I made a 1.5 recipe for us, and we only had one serving left! It was served with a French bread (thank you, Costco), a spinach salad (from our guests), lemon bars (from my sister), and Special K Bars. Everyone said they liked it, and the kids ate it, too.

For our small group dinner on Thursday night, I made lemon bars, too. I didn't know ahead of time my sister was bringing some on Wednesday. We have a peanut allergy in the group, so these were a safe dessert to bring. This recipe is the one my mom made growing up from her Charlie Brown/Peanuts Cookbook. They were a much bigger hit than I anticipated!

The original recipe only makes an 8x8 pan, which I could probably eat in one sitting... The baking time for the crust may depend on your oven. The original recipe calls for 30 minutes, which is way over done in my oven! You want it to be a light, golden crust when it's done, which is 15 minutes for me. Keep in mind that it browns more the second time you cook it. The second bake is right about 22 minutes for me.

Lucy Lemon Squares
1 cup flour
1/2 butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar (I recommend Domino's if you can)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8x8 pan (I recommend a light color or glass). Sift flour and sugar into bowl. With fingers, mix in butter. Spread and flatten out in 8"x8" pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.

Whisk together...
2 eggs
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
Dash salt

Pour over baked crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Sift and sprinkle powdered sugar over top. Cool on rack. Cut in squares.

The cook-a-thon is NOT over yet, guys. More to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

and then Justin Timberlake wrote that song