What's cooking

Have I mentioned Robert and I are both dieting, and I that I have had to
bake
like
a
madwoman
lately?

It's an unfair world, people.

I made these layered cookie bars when we had friends over for dinner. The leftovers were brought to the monthly cousins' dinner. They were obviously a hit...

I made a new chicken dish for that dinner, too. It was adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe. The flavor was good, but the chicken did dry out quite a bit. Our guests were running late so I left it in the oven longer than I should have, but maybe if I didn't do that and basted it some it would have been better. I liked it overall, though. (the photo below is not mine, it is from Martha)

Pan-Roasted Lemon Chicken with Green Beans and Red Potatoes

Preheat over t 400. Line a heavy or cast iron pan with aluminum foil. Mix together the lemon juice, all seasonings, and oil. Individually coat the chicken breasts in the liquid mixture. Place in pan. Quarter potatoes and coat in mixture as well. Arrange potatoes around chicken breast in pan. Pour vegetable broth into the pan. Bake the chicken and potatoes for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, clean and cut the ends of the green beans. Soak the beans in the flavor mixture. After the 20 minutes are up, add green beans to the pan in the oven. Bake for another 20 minutes.

Here is the blog I followed for the cookie bars...

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/09/29/gooey-chocolate-chip-sandwich-bars-cookies-for-kids-cancer-cookbook/

To even out the layers, I used my ever-favorite trick of placing a Ziplock baggie on my hand, spraying it in cooking spray, and then patting down the dough until smooth. If that grosses you out, all I can tell you is that it works like a charm. Every time. I use this trick for rice krispie treats and special k bars, too (before I dump the chocolate layer on top). Try it, you'll thank me.

Well, I'm off to workout. I made some peanut butter cookies, too, for Robert's friend who is having surgery this week, and of course saved some for us. They aren't going to burn themselves off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates