What I've been thinking about

This is what I've been thinking about lately.

The accident. I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago. Horribly, I rear-ended someone on the highway. It wasn't fun. Ironically, I'm pretty sure I saw the same car I hit driving like a total moron earlier this week, explaining a little about how this really went down. Though it makes me feel better about the accident, it makes me mad he'll have none of the blame.

Because of the accident, I am seeing a chiropractor 3xs a week. Do you know how impossible that is? Who knew I didn't have 3 extra hours a week? I didn't realize it.

This made me realize how busy the next 2 months are. Though it may change, we have had or are going to have trips to Boston, DC, and San Diego (between the two of us). We have parties. We have Easter in there. We have birthdays and black tie events. I AM GLUED TO MY GOOGLE CALENDAR, terrified everyday I am going to forget something.

We are not this cool, and I don't think we are cut out for this type of life. I honestly thought, "How am I supposed to find time to work?". Not clean my toilets or cook, but make it to work. Hopefully this will clear up soon.

This leads me to my next thought. One of my goals for 2012 is to be very purposeful. I honestly think very hard about events before I commit them to our calendar. I try to make sure every activity has a true purpose, is truly edifying, and is a good use of our time. I try to think more about what I can do for others in my time. Some times, this means giving my sweet, introverted husband a break and just having a night at home, the two of us (and saying "no" to an activity). This has been an excellent exercise for me, the uncontrolled extrovert. I think it has made me happier than I have ever been. Last night, I wanted to come and scrub our house since we are hosting community group from church this week {because what will they say if there is DUST?!}. Then, I realized I hadn't seen my niece and nephew in over a week. So Otis and I packed ourselves up and headed to their yard to have some play time. Then, I wound up having dinner with my sister-in-law & brother-in-law. You know what? It was a million times better than having a perfect house. A good use of time.

I think practicing this, the intentional time management, will be critical for us. It is the great balance between an extrovert / introvert married couple. It will be essential if one of us goes back to school (which both of us have considered) or if we have children. I feel like we need to get good at it now, so that we live our lives and not just... be stuffed full of activity as we go forward. It's only going to get less dull, right?

What are you doing with your time? What have you added/taken away this year as a goal?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

when your birthday doesn't mean anything anymore