Nothing too major

I have had an interesting start to my week. Combine Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with the Inauguration and the 40th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade when you work for the county health care system and claim to be (some type of) evangelical Christian... well, you are going to have a confusing couple of days.

I will say this: I am not hear to explain any political affiliation or position on any issue. I am here to blog.

I've had patients tell me all about their abortions, many of whom are very grateful for one less child to feed at age 17. Trust me, I don't even know how to explain how I feel about their stories.

I've had many patients tell me "thank you" for the free, government funded health care I provide for them. That's full of issues, too, guys. I've had people tell me the free program we offer isn't good enough. More sighing.

I've had people at church tell me they sin because they hate the president.

I've had people tell me that I must be a baby killer.

But, I decided today to stop listening. Because I have someone better to listen to.

The Jews hated the Romans. Jesus didn't make them go away. We take up our political causes, like they did about Roman oppression, and we cry and scream and beg God to change it. 

Some times, I think we need to cry and scream and beg God to change us.

Jesus came into that situation. Jesus worked in that situation. He never prayed for the Romans to be rid of the earth. He didn't really even spend time pointing out just how awful and ungodly they were. He prayed, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done".

I'm not criticizing anyone for taking up any one political cause. I'm confessing my own laziness. I need to pray more like Jesus and less like a selfish, self-righteous bad word person.

I need to pray that my tax dollars go to feed a baby whose mother may or may not have chosen to keep him or her, despite her circumstance. I need to thank God for allowing me that opportunity to serve, even when I don't like the methods.

I need to pray that my attitude towards all my patients is equally loving and patient, even when they want to talk about political things they don't understand (and that I probably don't), even when they admit to welfare fraud. Even when they are just plain annoying. Even when I'm hungry and want them to stop talking so I can go to lunch.

I need to pray for more compassion. 

I need to remember that these issues and problems and responses are as old as time. There is nothing new under the sun.

I need to pray and beg and cry for a better heart. I think that's where the real change happens, anyway. I think that's where the real difference is noticed and matters. Because even if God does not overthrow, overcome, or come to the rescue in the way we would ask, God is still powerful and working. His kingdom is still coming, His will is still inclusive to us if we choose it. 

There is still grace. There is still hope. Even for a sinner like me. Even in a world like this.

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
Ecclesiastes 3:11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

and then Justin Timberlake wrote that song