An apology to Dunkin' Donuts


The last time I tried to get a donut on Friday on my way to work, I got a speeding ticket for $300. You'd think I would have learned.

Today, I made it there with no tickets (though on the road I got pulled over on, I did get passed illegally by someone who LIVED on the road going well over 50mph).

I walked in and was the second person in line. I was fine and happily waiting for my turn to ask for a glazed goodness when another employee came around and asked me what she could get for me. I answered her simply.

However, she did not hear me answer because she turned to listen to her co-worker at the drive-threw saying some "funny" or "joking" thing to her. They carried on for a bit and then she turned back to me and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. What do you want?"

Big. Mistake.
I am not proud of what I did next.
In a voice a little louder than necessary, I repeated my order. The girl got my donut and I set down my money (which was a little more than enough to cover my order) and I left abruptly.

I realize that wasn't really necessary, nor did it really help the employees know what they did wrong. So, I'm sorry DD. I know I have an unusually high customer service standard. I know that it's not really the people at DD's fault that this happens ALL THE TIME in Nashville and is my new pet peeve. It's perfectly acceptable (apparently) to make customers wait while you have cute little personal conversations with other employees. It's just the culture here. But as someone who is paying for something that she doesn't really need and could get somewhere else, and has some place to be, it really does not make me happy. I remember letting non-employee customers at Nordstrom's E-Bar skip ahead of me, just because I knew I'd be more chatty with other employees than they would and I didn't think that was fair.

Yes, people here are more friendly and generally more kind. They are very polite and very hospitable. But I will honestly say, customer service down here sucks. And that, along with bad driving, isn't something I will miss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

and then Justin Timberlake wrote that song