Fall baking!

It begins. The second week of October... fall baking may now commence!

Poor Robert. He doesn't like pumpkin. So, to ease his pumpkin pain, I made him these brownies...

Hershey's chocolate brownies with a cream cheese frosting. I don't care for cream cheese frosting, so they are his special brownies. That I told him he should take them into work to share, because he really doesn't need a whole pan. He eyed me suspiciously at this comment.

Since I love pumpkin but the husband does not, I try to only make the goodies when I can share them. For our small group tonight, I made pumpkin cupcakes. I used this recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/cupcakes/PumpkinCupcakes.html. I thought they were a really good balance of sweet and savory and spice. I used the same above Halloween colored cream cheese frosting for half of them (the recipe makes about 12-14 smaller cupcakes).

I tried using my basic buttercream for the others, since I wanted something I would enjoy and could pipe. It really overwhelmed the cupcake and I felt the pumpkin was lost. So, I scraped it off and started anew with a glaze. The best part of frosting a cupcake is that it isn't permanent. I left a very thin crumb layer on as to not destroy the cupcake. Then I whipped up a simple glaze and added a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. So much better!


Though I couldn't use a pastry bag and tip to pipe in the glaze to make it pretty, it will probably taste much better. The glaze also ran down the sides, so I am sure it'll be divine. I did a swirl with the cream cheese frosting and decorated using mini chocolate chips and candy corn. On the glaze are more mini chips and some festive sprinkles.

Happy fall, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!

Victory, and other updates

and then Justin Timberlake wrote that song